The purpose of a telephone or Skype interview for an internship abroad is for the recruiter to confirm the good first impression he/she got from your CV and to know more about your profile. It is also used when a face-to-face interview is not possible due to the distance.
Here are some tips Stud&Globe offers you in order to successfully complete this form of recruitment process.
Prepare in advance
- Think about the questions that may be asked and prepare your answers
- Have your CV at hand and the description of the internship
- Explain your CV and briefly summarize your work experience. Highlight the points that are important to you (no need to make a comprehensive statement as the recruiter has a copy of your CV). Focus on your experience thus highlighting relevant skills for the position
- Explain your interest in the internship and the company
- Explain your career plan
Keep calm and be available!
In order to be focused throughout your interview we recommend that you be in a quiet space. Think about being 100% available without any disruptions. In summary, be sure to:
- be clear and succinct
- be courteous
- be smiling (even when on the phone)
- be well presented (for Skype interviews)
- pay attention to your body language (for Skype interviews)
- listen to the interviewer and do not interrupt
- take notes
- ask some questions at the end of the interview if some items are not clear
- ask what is the next step of the selection process
- thank your interviewer for their time.