If you have already found an internship abroad, one of the first tasks you will have to carry out is the search for accommodation. We know that this is not an easy task and on many occasions, it can be frustrating, but don't worry: we have some tips for you to find your ideal accommodation.
Type of accommodation
First of all, you must think of all the positive and negative aspects of each type of accommodation that exist in order to find the option that best suits what you are looking for.
These are the usual types of accommodation:
- Shared room. It is the cheapest option so it can be a good alternative, especially in cities with a high cost of living, where housing prices are high.
- Private room. It is one of the most demanded options, due to the privacy it offers. Some private rooms also have a private bathroom, so you would only share the rest of the common areas with your flatmates.
- Studio. There are many people who choose a studio, as it offers more privacy and it avoids sharing the kitchen or the bathroom. The space is limited, but they usually have a bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen, so the place is used to the maximum.
- Entire accommodation. It is a good alternative, both for individuals and to share with other people because you can share the expenses this way.
- Residence/student halls. It is a great opportunity to meet other people in your same situation and there is always a very festive atmosphere. However, it is not the ideal environment to rest.
How to find accommodation
Once you have decided on the type of accommodation you are looking for, you will need start searching. To do this, you can use Erasmus Play, where you can compare all the accommodation available, filtering by price, the type of accommodation you are looking for and its characteristics. In addition, all housing options available there are 100% verified, so you will not have to worry about scams.
Finally, we want to leave you with a few tips that you should consider when looking for your accommodation:
Prepare an approximate budget
Preparing a budget can be one of the best things you can do before travelling. We recommend that you calculate approximately how much you can spend each month, considering accommodation, food, leisure, etc. Keep in mind that accommodation will be one of the biggest costs, so try to find out the average rental price in the city where you will do your internship and set the maximum price you are willing to pay.
Search and book in advance
Regardless of the city where you are going to do your internship, we recommend that you start your search in advance. There are some cities (such as Madrid) where the demand for accommodation is very high, so the best options tend to sell out quickly.
Expenses included in the rental price
The expenses of the bills (electricity, water, gas, etc.), can greatly increase the rental price. Therefore, we recommend that you check whether or not they are included in the rental price, and if not, check how much you would have to pay each month.
Location of the accommodation
It is also very important that you take into account the location of the accommodation. If possible, we recommend that your accommodation is close to your place of work or close to the city centre, so you can save time and money. In any case, the distances are relative, since there are neighborhoods and areas with better communication than others.
Beware of scams and fraud
It is very important that the accommodation you book is done through a website with verified flats and rooms, this way you will avoid problems with housing scams or fraud.
Characteristics of the apartment
Also, assess the characteristics of the accommodation. That your room has a window or good lighting may seem silly at first, but you must bear in mind that you are going to spend several months there and it is important to have a space in which you feel comfortable.
We hope that our basic guide on how to find accommodation for your internship abroad has been helpful. Good luck and enjoy your experience!
Editor : Ana Fernández